Wednesday 26 March 2014

Some things I need to tell you

1. Please stop telling me that my daughter 'has' my cheeks. I currently have steroid cheeks. Any resemblance is purely coincidental, and all you are achieving is reminding me that my face currently resembles that of a chubby, albeit very cute (see below), baby.




2. A couple weeks ago I went to University College London to attend an Advisory Board meeting for the Centre for Adolescent Rheumatology. Adolescence can be a pretty turbulent time as it is, in terms of physical, emotional and educational development, let alone with the added trauma of living with a chronic illness such as rheumatoid arthritis. The Centre aims to improve the health and well being of adolescents and young adults with arthritis (and other rheumatic diseases, too) through cutting edge research. It's the first of it's kind and I am privileged to sit on the Board representing young people with arthritis. You can find out more here:

www.centre-for-adolescent-rheumatology.org


3. Apparently 'rheumatology' isn't a recognized word on Google Blogger.


4. I am currently not very well, and haven't been for a few weeks. I'm still waiting for my new treatment to start, and in the meantime I am surviving on a cocktail of steroids, ibuprofen and tramadol. Joints that currently hurt include, but are not limited to, ankles, knees, hips, wrists, shoulders and neck. I can't remember the last time I woke up without being in agony.


5. It may come as a surprise to you, but not everything about having arthritis is bad. Since my diagnosis I have been lucky enough to meet some inspirational people, including an incredible lady called Kris. Kris was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer at the age of 23. Since then, via her charity CoppaFeel!, she has dedicated her life to encouraging young people to get to know their boobs so that others do not have to suffer the same fate as her. If you have plans tonight, cancel them, and watch her documentary - Kris: Dying to Live - on BBC3 at 9PM. Or if you're reading this too late, catch up on iPlayer. And then start checking your boobs.


6. Not one person nominated me to do a 'No Make-up Selfie' for charity. I am trying not to take this personally.


7. And finally... That Girl With Arthritis now has a Facebook page. If you like what you read, or just want to do your bit in the name of awareness raising, please 'like' the page and spread the word. If you do I'll give you a share of my winnings when I win Euromillions this week.*

www.facebook.com/thatgirlwitharthritis

*Win not guaranteed, mostly because someone named Catherine Bull already won Euromillions a couple of years ago.

No comments: