Tuesday 5 July 2011

Day 8: It's just like making mayonnaise!

So far there is no change to report; my wrists are still the size of Brazil and I am having to type this without using my index finger because it hurts so much (it’s harder than it sounds, give it a try if you don’t believe me). I can’t help but feel a little bit disappointed at the lack of steroid high that I was promised too. Trying to stay positive though as I know it can be at least six weeks before I start to notice the effects. In the mean time I thought I would take this opportunity to explain a bit about how Rituximab works (or HOPEFULLY works, touch wood, etc)...

Rituximab (or as I will now be referring to it, joint juice) removes B-cells, which are a type of white blood cell. B-cells produce antibodies, which are proteins produced by the body in response to germs, viruses, or any substances which the body sees as foreign or dangerous. In people with RA some B-cells produce harmful ‘autoantibodies’ such as rheumatoid factors. The purpose of the joint juice is to remove these B-cells. However it also removes the rest of the B-cells too which produce useful antibodies, and although these will return after a few months for a while I’ll be more prone to infections etc. So if you could avoid coughing all over me that’d be much appreciated.

The joint juice is given directly into a vein in my arm via a drip. The nurses start it off slowly and gradually increase the pace to reduce the risk of me having some spectacular reaction. Which, as my friend Jessie pointed out, is just like how you make mayonnaise. If only mayonnaise could fix my immune system...

No comments: