Thursday 22 September 2011

Day 84: No big deal...?

I was hoping to have something perky to talk about as I have realised that my last few blogs have been a bit depressing to say the least. But then I also realised, this is kind of the point of me doing this; to educate people what it is like to be me, a sufferer of RA, right now. So if something good happens then I will talk about that. But if there’s something to rant or moan about then I’ll bloody well do that too. And today is no exception. Wait for it...

I HAVE A COLD.

“...And?” I hear you say. Because having a cold is no big deal, is it?

Well usually I’d agree. But when you have RA it’s a bit of a different story. The problems with having a virus when you have RA are twofold; 1) because some of the medication I take dampens down my immune system, my immune system is not equipped to deal with said virus, so I come off worse than your average Joe and am stuck with it for what seems like forever, and 2) my feeble immune system does at least attempt to fight off said virus but in the process decides to attack my joints as well.

So when you have RA having a cold is pretty bad news. And I can’t afford to be ill at the moment – I have just started an obstetrics and gynaecology placement as part of my doctor training and being sick just isn’t part of the timetable. So in my attempts to deal with this somewhat shitty situation I have been going to bed at about 9PM for the past three nights. But then because of the extra pain in my neck and back (and standard crippled hand pain, obviously) I keep waking up at ridiculous o’clock in the morning. So on top of being ill and in pain I’m also exhausted. All because of a stupid cold. 

It’s a shame because I am loving my placement at the moment. There aren’t many people who can say they spent their day feeling babies kick, listening to their heartbeats and watching them on an ultrasound scan, and I feel very lucky that my treatment has got me to a point where I am well enough to train and do all these things. I did get some funny looks when I checked some mums’ blood pressures today, though; it’s probably not the most reassuring thing when the person checking your blood pressure is wincing with every squeeze as she inflates the blood pressure cuff... (my hand wasn’t impressed with being made to do that and despite all the practice it’s had my face didn’t manage to hide the pain on this occasion).

Anyway it’s nearly 9PM which means it’s nearly time for bed. Ugh, I can’t believe I am saying that at the age of 23.

No comments: