Monday 3 October 2011

Day 95: Never taking solid foods for granted again

This is the current situation going on in my mouth:

These are just the ones you can see...

It seems a family of ulcers have set up home here, and I definitely do not remember inviting them to do so. Having one ulcer is inconvenient. Having 10-20 at once hurts. A lot. And they're spreading like wildfire. I am rapidly running out of space in my mouth to accommodate food. My diet currently consists of yoghurt, mashed banana, and Bonjela. Bonjela has become my new best friend. I am having to apply the stuff every 10 minutes or so to cope with the pain, although by the time I've covered them all it's usually time to start again anyway. I might as well just pour the whole tube in my mouth, it'd probably save me some time.

Why has this happened? Good frigging question. Noone seems to be able to figure that one out. I am now in week 3 of cold (I wasn't kidding when I said I get stuck with them forever). One theory is that I'm immunosuppressed; my immune system is struggling so much at the moment which provides ulcers with the perfect opportunity to invade my mouth. But I have been pretty much living at my GP surgery for the last week and having blood tests every day to check my white cell count, which come back normal every time. As I rung up for my results for about the 5th day in a row today I actually found myself disappointed to hear the words, 'your full blood count is completely within the normal range.' At least if it had been abnormal I would have had an answer. 

So as you can see, despite my joints being the best they've been in weeks, the RA is still managing to take a great big shit on my life. I am never taking solid foods for granted again. 

Love,
Cat x

No comments: