Monday 9 January 2012

Day 193: Someone get me a stomach transplant

You may be wondering what my last post was about. Or you may not be. Either way I'm going to explain anyway. 

2012 hasn't exactly got off to the amazing start I'd hoped for. It was during the shit week that I've just had that I came across that quote, a quote which I don't think could possibly sum up my life any better right now. Since the day I was diagnosed my whole life has become a fight. And last week was no exception... 

Over the last couple of weeks I had started to get pain in my abdomen, radiating all the way through to my back. For a couple of weeks it was nothing more than a bit of a discomfort, nothing I couldn't handle (after all, being an arthritis warrior tends to give you a pretty high pain threshold). But by last Tuesday I could no longer eat anything without being doubled up in pain and I couldn't sleep because I was in agony. So on Tuesday evening I found myself, once again, in the A&E department of the Royal Surrey County Hospital and, much to the amusement of BFF Katie, on all fours with my head buried in a pillow. Doctors quickly confirmed my suspicions that I was having yet another episode of gastritis caused by some of the medication I take for my RA and I was kept in overnight for iv fluids, iv morphine, and anti-sickness treatment. I was allowed home on Wednesday with a big stash of Tramadol which basically means I have been spaced out, hallucinating, and projectile vomming ever since. But at least it's helping with the pain. However I'm still not managing to eat anything, and those of you who know me will know how much I love my food and therefore how much this is killing me. Today I couldn't even finish a six inch Subway sandwich. SIX INCH. AND I walked past the bakery aisle in Sainsbury's without even so much as looking at the doughnuts. Someone get me a stomach transplant pronto. This episode also means that over the next couple of weeks I will have to have another endoscopy to see whether or not I have developed any stomach ulcers. For anyone that doesn't know, an endoscopy is that procedure where doctors stick a camera down your throat to have a look at your stomach and small intestine. I've had it done twice before and after the last time I swore I'd never have one again. RA, you're a bitch. 

So once again I find myself fighting back against my disease... and I don't plan on giving up anytime soon.

Love,
Cat x

2 comments:

lynnwagner said...

I hate to sound ignorant, but what is the relationship between RA and your stomach issues? I ask because I have gastroparesis and am being tested (again) for RA. I am having a horrible day with the pain. Am searching the net for answers. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Cat Bull said...

Hi Lynn,
My stomach problems are due to the medication I have to take to control the RA symptoms, some of them cause erosion of my stomach lining and ulceration. I've not heard of any connection between gastroparesis and RA but I know there is an association between it and connective tissue diseases and also diabetes which are both autoimmune disorders like RA so maybe they could be linked? Sorry I can't be more help!