Saturday 14 January 2012

Day 198: Publicizing my private life

Since I've started this blog I've had lots of lovely messages of support and encouragement from both close friends and complete strangers alike. I've had people telling me that what I'm doing is a good thing, because before reading my blog they had no idea that young people could get arthritis or what it's like to live with it. And I've had other young sufferers of the disease getting in touch to tell me that reading my blog has given them encouragement to not let it ruin their lives, and that they no longer feel so alone in their crappy RA world. It's hearing things like that that make me feel like this is all worthwhile. However, unfortunately I also receive messages like this:

"You know what, you're not the only one with life compromising illnesses, Cat. I just choose not to publicize my private life."

Errr, sorry, you think I don't know that I'm not the only person with a shit disease? You think I don't realize that I'm not the only person with RA? You think I bore myself silly talking about my disease all the freaking time FOR FUN? Funny enough I don't actually want everyone to know I have a chronic illness, or to know me as 'that girl with arthritis'. I am doing this for a reason: to raise awareness, to get people talking about it, to get people knowing the symptoms. I can't stop someone getting RA, but if it means that even just one person gets diagnosed earlier then I'll know it's been worthwhile 'publicizing my private life.' Oh, and as if that wasn't offensive enough, said person spelt 'you're' wrong, too. 

But to everyone who doesn't think that I'm self centred and attention seeking, thank you for your continued support. Thank you for your kind messages. And most importantly thank you for reading.

2 comments:

Debbie Bowen said...

Absolutely love the blog Cat.
You're doing an amazing thing raising awareness and encouraging others. I have ongoing respect for you babe.
Give a shit if other people think otherwise. To be honest, I actually feel sorry for said person because they are so wrapped up in their own world they can't give a thought, let alone a charitable one, to anyone else. Thank God some people do.
Much love x

Anonymous said...

Ignore the haters, Kat. As Debbie said, you're doing a fantastic thing hear and I admire you for it. x