Tuesday 1 November 2011

Day 123: The 'I' word

Last Monday I headed to ARUK HQ where I had the pleasure of meeting Jacqui, who is organising the 75th anniversary Lantern Opera. A few months ago I was honoured to be asked to speak at the event. Many of the people attending won't have any idea what it is like to live with arthritis, or even that, (surprise, surprise) yes, people under the age of 80 really can have it. And it's my very important job to educate them. No pressure then. During our conversation Jacqui used the 'I' word. It's not the first time someone's used it but I don't feel any less uncomfortable the more I hear it. The word I am referring to is 'inspirational'. I have often wondered what makes people tell me I'm inspirational. It's just not a title I feel I deserve. The way I see it, if you're unlucky enough to be hit over the head (and shoulders, and knees, and wrists, and ankles, etc) with the shit stick that is RA, you can go one of two ways. You can feel sorry for yourself and let it defeat you. This is completely understandable. It's completely shit, there's no other word for it. Faced with a future of pain, immobility, and an uncertain prognosis, I suspect most of you would go the same way. However there is also a second option, an option which I have just happened to have chosen. Yes, having arthritis sucks big time, but I refuse to let it ruin my life or stop me achieving my goals. I don't think there's anything inspirational about that. After all, I'm just living my life aren't I?!  

On Tuesday I caught up with Phil and Sally from BRIT. Now if anyone deserves the title 'inspirational' it's Phil (in fact Sally does as well for putting up with him on a daily basis). Despite being told he'd never walk again after sustaining spinal cord injuries during an explosion in Iraq Phil has rowed the Channel, climbed El Capitan, walked the London Marathon twice, and completed the 3 Peaks Challenge in 72 hours. Today he filled me in on his latest challenge which will see him raising awareness of his charity BRIT. Now I realise you must all be on the edge of your seats right now wanting to get in on the big secret, but you're just going to have to wait until January 24th 2012 to find out...

Phil and I at the start of the London Marathon 2010.

On Thursday thanks to the bitch that is RA I had to go to the dentist. 

THE DENTIST. 

Before I'm allowed to start the bone juice treatment I have to get the all clear from the dentist because of the risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw (still not sounding any less scary, is it?)  Now I can see the importance and all, but I REALLY hate the dentist. Sitting still whilst some woman pokes around in my mouth, tells me I need to brush my teeth better, and then charges me 17 quid for the pleasure isn't exactly my idea of fun. But I got the all clear to go ahead so I guess I can forgive her just this once. With that trauma over and done with I headed over to ARUK HQ again for a catch up with the lovely Riikka, Communications Officer extraordinaire. 

Oh yeah, and the arthritis thing... with such a busy week I barely had time to stop for long enough to notice that once again I am PAIN FREE. 

Love,
Cat x

No comments: